Quality Lab Technician
Reports To: Quality Lab Manager
FLSA Status: Hourly (Ag Exempt)
The Quality Lab Technician’s purpose is to sample, test for, compile and enter Potato Quality data at a variety of locations on and around the farm. The Quality Lab Technician will master the utilization and operation of a variety of equipment and procedures in completing these tasks.
- Pulling 50 pound samples of potato product from a variety of indoor and outdoor sources (seasonally) to be tested in our Potato Quality Labs
- Analyzing and compiling potato defects and physical characteristics for comparison against quality standards set by company policy.
- Recording and entering potato quality data into our proprietary data warehouse, and company developed Excel Spreadsheets, quickly and accurately.
- Communicate and work with our production managers about the current state of quality data being sampled.
- To be able to competently perform all instructions as given by the supervisor. This includes all sampling, data compilations, and data entry operations, both in the field and in the Lab
- 1-2 years quality assurance or lab work is preferred, though we are willing to train.
- Experience using computers and Microsoft Excel is a plus.
- The Quality Lab Technician’s work schedule is highly dependent on the time of year and weather conditions. Typically, someone performing this job can expect to work 5 days per week (including some weekend hours), from 5:45 am to 2:00 or 3:00 pm in the afternoon. During periods of high demand such as Planting or Harvesting employees will be expected to work as needed, which will require a great deal of flexibility as to the hours per day/week and the times worked. 50+ hour, and 7 day weeks are not uncommon during these peak periods.
- Requires the ability to work on-site and in multiple locations and settings.
- Ability to stand for a large part of their workday
- Requires the ability to collect 50# samples of potatoes in a tub, several times during their workday.
- Requires the ability to clearly understand verbal and written communication from others in person and by telephone.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Must be a minimum of 18 years old.
- Must have a valid and current operator’s license with a clean record
- The ability to focus on and identify variations from a standard of quality.
- The ability to work independently and collaborative throughout the day.
- Detail oriented & goal driven
With Heartland Farms, Inc., you will work as part of a high performing agricultural organization where team members collaborate to get the job done and challenge the status quo to find a better way. We are eager to see how you will make an impact as a member of our organization.